He claimed he had a dream where he was to convert Ireland to Christianity. He wasn't well received on the main land of Ireland so needed to start in some of the off shore islands.
He used the shamrock to teach the idea of the Trinity to the Irish people.
He is believed to have died on March 17, 461 AD. The celebration of the day started in the 17th century and continues til this day.
With me down and out with a cold that is nasty enough to take away my voice and energy, my sweetheart was kind enough to make supper. Since it was St. Patrick's Day he chose to honour St. Patty's Day and made an Irish inspired meal for us. (A first for us!)
Corned Beef (original recipe here)
3 pounds corned beef, trimmed of fat
Unwrap the corned beef, and remove the seasoning packet (use it in another recipe, such as roasted cabbage and potatoes) and trim as much of the fat from the meat as you can.
Rinse the corned beef under a bunch of cold water in a colander to wash away a bunch of the sodium.
(If you have time, you can even submerge the meat overnight in the fridge in a tupperware of cold water to release the excess sodium. In the morning, dump the water.)
In a small bowl, make a paste of the honey, brown sugar, mustard, and cloves.
Rub this mixture on all sides of the meat. Place the meat into your crockpot, and cover.
Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until meat pulls apart easily with a fork. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Irish Cream Bundt Cake (recipe)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in eggs, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup oil and 3/4 cup Irish cream liqueur. Beat for 5 minutes at high speed. Pour batter over nuts in pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert onto the serving dish. Prick top and sides of cake. Spoon glaze over top and brush onto sides of cake. Allow to absorb glaze repeat until all glaze is used up.
- To make the glaze: In a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup Irish cream.
1 Package Mashed potatoe mix (we use the kind you get at Costco) uses milk and water
1 bunch green onions
1/4 cup milk
Heat water with thinly sliced green onions and butter in it.
Add the milk (as called for in potatoe mix recipe)
Add the mashed potatoe mix
©2006-2017 A Net In Time. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. A Net In Time/