- 3 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 quart whole milk, or as needed (I used about 3.5 cups)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange one layer of potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper, 3 tablespoons flour, and 2 tablespoons butter. Repeat layering 2 more times, until all of potatoes have been used. Slowly pour milk over the potatoes until the dish is 3/4 full of milk.
- Bake until the milk comes to a boil (check after 15 minutes), then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake until potatoes are tender, 45 to 60 minutes more.
The lad: "mom! These are good. Thanks for cooking this"
Dad ": no onions hun? But he finished the pot off much to my chagrin.
Mom "I like it, I should make these more often"