I've had this book for a while now, picked up because someone said "it's a good book to work through" and it's lain on my shelf, occasionally picked up but not really worked on.
Thought I should work through it and then I can pass it along should I want to. Make sense right? Books are meant to be used not just sit on shelves.
This book comes with a chapter to read as well as a study book that lists a number of questions.
I thought I would write out most of the questions along with my answers. I invite you to join me with your own thoughts.
Chapter one is "The Excellent Wife - Who Can Find?"
1. What should the greatest priority in the Christian wife's life?
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matt 6:33.
---that old adage is a true one. God first... all else second...
2. What should he her second greatest priority?
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Genesis 2:18
--- a helper fit... That's what we are you know? Fit for the person we are with... as long as we can accept that.
3. To what does God compare the worth of the excellent wife?
An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
--- trying to imagine being more precious than jewels.... I know, they are only stuff. People are more important than any kind of stuff. PERIOD.
4. List as many traits of the "excellent wife" as you can find from a careful reading of Proverbs 31:10-31.
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
15 She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.
My thoughts: There is a whole lot more in this passage than I like to think. Some I am very familiar with...like she works hard... finds clothing for her family etc. , but others I found surprising. Like "she laughs", "the heart of her husband trusts her."
All solid traits.
5. What is a wife's responsibility? What problem could keep her from becoming a godly wife?
- To put her confidence in the faithfulness of God and his word.
- Sin and it's affect on the woman in question. Sin affects our confidence in God and his faithfulness to us in his word.
- 2 Cor 5:21 - For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- Rom. 6:6 - We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.
- John 8:34-36 - Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
- God's remedy for sin... His Perfect Son... the sinless one, born the penalty of sin for us. If we want freedom from sin we must be in his Son.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. John 14:16-17
The Holy Spirit is that additional helper that we've been given.
9. Why is the Christian wife without excuse to succeed in becoming a godly wife?
We have a ready and willing God who is quick to forgive those who come repentantly to him. If I truly know that God will forgive me...if I am sorrowful for not trusting his faithfulness, then I need not have any fear.
Your thoughts are most welcome.